About Us Employment Opportunities
The Baltimore National Heritage Area is seeking Urban Rangers (docents and guides) for the 2018 tourism season. These are seasonal positions with the heritage area.
Are you outgoing, articulate, enjoy walking, being outdoors, and engaging the public?
If yes, be a history and heritage ambassador for the Baltimore National Heritage Area. Individuals should have some basic knowledge of museums and cultural institutions within the Baltimore National Heritage Area, and enjoy telling the stories of the people and places that make Baltimore a national treasure (scripts and resource materials provided).
This is a seasonal employment opportunity from May through November, providing tours to individuals, adult groups including student groups and summer campers.
- Urban Rangers must be 18 years or older.
- High School degree required. College or graduate study preferred with experience in education, history, architecture, museum studies, or a related field.
- Excellent speaking skills; especially the ability to succinctly express themselves. Public speaking or performance background beneficial.
- Strong interpersonal skills – must be able to make each visitor feel welcomed and engage with children.
- Sustained intellectual curiosity in Baltimore’s history and culture.
- Retail experience helpful for some assignments
- Friendly attitude towards visitors, groups and staff and a strong team player. Outgoing personality able to promote walking tours and Heritage Area partner events.
- Must be able to work independently and be dependable.
- Must be able to walk or stand for periods up to 90 minutes to complete a 1.2-mile trail.
- Must be able to work outside in variable weather conditions, including summer heat.
- Must be able to speak at an acceptable volume for two 90 minute tours,
- Must be able to attend required training.
Compensation: This is a contractual seasonal position. Urban Ranger pay is $14 per-hour (3-hour minimum), plus gratuity for walking tours. Paid training $10.00 per hour.
Uniform shirt provided. Bottoms may be any shade of khaki colored pants, cargo shorts or appropriate length skirt or shorts. Closed-toe comfortable walking shoes are highly recommended.
For consideration, send resume to email@example.com, no later than March 18, 2018. At least three professional and/or personal references required.